Feeding Frenzy 2 (Shipwreck Showdown) is an Arcade Redemption Machine in which players must chomp their way to an underwater mystery while dodging predators and eating their way up the food chain.
Like it's predecessor Feeding Frenzy, players have to control several fast growing marine predators who are out to uncover a mystery which is lurking in the ocean. The aim of the game is to avoid predators and obstacles while eating other smaller fish and creatures, eventually reaching the top of the food chain.
Feeding Frenzy 2 includes 60 new levels which feature scenery such as new underwater worlds, coral reefs, deep sea caves, and sunken ships, as well as above super fun water challenges. The story mode starts the player as a small butterfly fish named Boris, and along the way, the player meets new creatures - both friendly and unfriendly.
The player controls different fishes and through this must aim to defeat the Intruder!
The fish the player controls have special abilities, although these are generally quite similar to those in the previous title. They include a "dash" maneuver for a quick burst of speed, the ability to "suck up" a large school of fish all at once, as well as an ability which allows the character Edie to light up her way.
The game also features power-ups which can be used to gain instantaneous or short term effects. These include older power-ups from the previous game, as well as completely new ones:
- Lighting Bolt: A lightning bolt icon which is usually stored in a bubble. The effect of this power-up is to provide increased swimming speed.
- Shrink Shroom: The effect of this power-up is to shrink any fish whose size is bigger than the player.
- Instant Illuminate: Lights up the whole screen for a few moments during the "Midnight Zones".
- Looney Lures: This power-up is displayed as a hook icon. It lures and moves bigger fish off of the screen.
- 1UP: The player is awarded an extra life.
- Golden Herring: This fish makes the player grow one level size, allowing you to eat the next biggest fish. This fish is fast though, and the best method of catching it is to use the inhale ability.
- Plankton: Can be eaten by Edie for light in midnight zones.
- Boris - Boris the butterfly fish is the first playable character in the game. He lives in the warm waters of the Sandy Shoal, a beautiful area off the Frenzy Coast. He is the first to meet oysters that give pearls and sometimes power ups, and also meets starfish and sharks.
- Layla - Layla the queen triggerfish is the second playable character in the game. She lives in the warm water of Paradise Reef and is the first to meet barracuda enemies and shrink shrooms.
- Edie - Edie the anglerfish is the third playable character. Edie's levels are difficult because her several of levels are the "Midnight Zones". Note that the fish's gender has been changed to female due to the fact that only female angler fish emit light; this was a mistake in the original game. She is the only returning playable character from the first game.
- Peter - Peter the pompano is the fourth playable character in the game. He lives in Buccaneer Bay, where the player will first come across cuttlefish, which shoot ink.
- Harry - Harry the humphead wrasse is the fifth playable character in the game, the balloons are back after a while and you can again jump for bonuses out of the water. Also, he meets pelicans.
- Goliath - Goliath the great white shark is the sixth playable character in the game. He is very high up in the food chain, and is the first to fight "The Intruder".
- The Intruder - The Intruder is an alien fish disrupting the food chain. The player is required to fight it every 3 levels after Goliath defeats it for the first time. The player then moves lower down the food chain, playing as previous characters until The Intruder is defeated for the last time, after which Boris eats it. This completes the game. The Intruder is then unlocked as a playable character, and the player can then play through the entire game again as The Intruder.