Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade Machine is a 3-vs-3 battle game, developed by Team Ninja and Square Enix, in which players (up to 3 in a team) can verse teams of other players in a brawl fighting style or in strategic battle.
Gameplay features include cabinets can be linked together (up to 3 units per team) to create one team; it is a 3 vs 3 battle game; it includes a Chat feature; and will also connect to the network system.
Screen features include:
2. Battle Log
3. Teammate Status
4. Player Status
6. Target Line
7. Break Bonus
9. Enemy Team Information
10. Chat Icon
Controls are the same across all characters, making it much easier to switch between characters, especially with such a huge line up of playable characters. According to Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade director, Takeo Kujiraoka, the game currently has 50 playable characters with plans to release more follwing the release of the game in regular updates.
Confirmed characters so far include Warrior of Light (Final Fantasy I), Onion Knight (Final Fantasy III), Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI), Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII), Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII), and Y’Shtola (Final Fantasy XIV). Ramza Beoulve from Final Fantasy Tactics has been confirmed to be released as a playable character update post release. Characters are also customizable in terms of their status, abilities, etc. and can be customized with a dedicated smartphone app, so players can make changes without going to the arcade.
Other new details on gameplay includes attacks and abilities of characters and their teams. These include:
- HP Attacks: When a player attacks with an HP Attack, the amount of HP they can take off the enemy is displayed as the Break Bonus stat in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Brave Attack: When a Brave Attack hits, it can sap away at the enemy’s own Break Bonus.
- Braves: Enemy Braves can also be stolen with a Brave Attack. Braves can be accumulated en masse with a Brave Break. If you manage to accrue all of an enemy’s Braves, you’ll get a bonus. That said, there’s a greater incentive to prioritize enemies with bigger Brave reserves. Brave Breaks are ideal to use after taking HP Attacks and can help stage big comebacks.
- EX Skills: A class of iconic support skills that players can use during battle, such as “Protect” for raising an ally's defense, "Slow" to make enemies move slower and provoking enemies to lock their targets elsewhere. Also includes character specific skills like Tina’s “Trance” and Cloud’s “Limit Break.”
- Summons Beasts: All members of a team share a Summon Gauge that can be built up. When it’s full, if all players join in the invocation, they can have a Summons Beast enter the fray as a temporary fourth teammate. Summons Beasts also have auto-abilities that will be continuously in effect while they’re out on the field, providing an added boon to team members. Hvaing this included in the battle gameplay will make a lot of FF fans very happy, as it is probably (in my humble opinion) one of the coolest things you get to do in the game series. Summons Beasts are selectable.
The controllers for the game is 2 control joysticks with playstation styled buttons on them - this is to allow for both hardcore and casual players to transition into using the arcade version - and also features a large LED lit button shaped like a Crystal, positioned in the centre between the two joysticks.
Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade Machine will be getting regular updates for additional characters, stages, summons, battle music, custom parts, balance refinements, and additional gameplay systems, to keep the game fresh and exciting for arcade players.
More information to come/some information may change as this machine has not been released yet.